The four MESPOM Consortium partners have more than 50 years of combined experience in delivering interdisciplinary environmental Masters courses to international students. MESPOM not only advances a truly European perspective on the environment by combining Nordic, Mediterranean, Western and Central European scholarly traditions and practical approaches. The partners together create a solid platform for a high quality, truly integrated and globally relevant Masters course.
The International Institute for Industrial Environmental Economics at Lund University (IIIEE) is a European leader in research and advanced education on preventive environmental strategies. Its MSc in Environmental Management and Policy has been taught since 1995. The image of Nordic countries being unchallenged global leaders in "ecological modernization" is supported by the research and education at the IIIEE, which demonstrates the feasibility of combining economic competitiveness and environmental protection. In 2011 Lund University was ranked in environmental sciences subject the 39th best university in the world and the best in Scandinavia.
The University of Manchester’s MSc in Pollution and Environmental Control is Europe’s oldest such course is delivered since 1971. The School of Earth and Environmental Sciences and the Faculty of Life Sciences are global leaders in environmental issues and biosciences. Manchester provides an ideal setting for environmental research and education, as the cradle of the industrial revolution where many of the contemporary environmental pollution problems were defined and analyzed and where scientific and practical solutions were found. The QS World University Rankings ranked the University of Manchester the 41st best environmental sciences university in the world in 2013.
The Central European University focuses on environmental policy in transition countries in its MSc in Environmental Sciences and Policy, which runs since 1994. CEU in Hungary/Vienna is an international post-graduate university created in 1991 to support the post-communist transformation of Central and Eastern Europe. The Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy is a European center of research excellence on environmental policy and issues in emerging democracies. Students and scholars from more than 70 countries have been attracted to CEU to learn from the lessons of Central Europe in combining economic, political and environmental reforms.
The University of the Aegean represents the Mediterranean perspective, whose strong interdisciplinary research team works on biodiversity, nature conservation, ecosystems and resource management and valuation, and integrated spatial planning with a focus on tourism. Its expertise on sustainable management of islands and isolated areas is highly relevant to many countries in the East Mediterranean and worldwide. The University of the Aegean has been delivering its MSc in Environmental Policy and Management since 1998.
Two North American institutes; the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey (MIIS) and the University of Saskatchewan (School of Environment and Sustainability) were members of the MESPOM consortium between 2010 and 2023.
In 2017, MESPOM was joined by 18 Associate Partners from academia, industry, public and non-profit sector who will be hosting MESPOM students for their theses and summer internships.
MESPOM Associate Partners
- Ecoline International Ltd, Ukraine and Bulgaria
- International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, Austria
- Institute for Climate protection, Energy and Mobility, Germany
- Natural History Museum of the Lesvos Petrified Forest, Greece
- Regional Environmental Center for Central and Easter Europe, Hungary
- Schneider Electric Energy and Sustainability Services, Hungary and UK
- SEI-Oxford, UK
- Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences Uppsala, Sweden
- Tomorrow2day Sustainability Consulting AB, Sweden
- Trelleborg AB, Sweden
- Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment, India
- Chinese Research Academy of Environmental Sciences, China
- Fundacion Amigos de la Naturaleza (FAN), Bolivia
- International Institute for Sustainable Development, Canada
- South African Environmental Observatory Network (facility of the National Research Foundation), South Africa
- The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel