Visa and residence permits

How To - Residence Permit Application process to Austria on YouTube videos

Visa and residence permit applications to CEU can only be processed by the Austrian immigration authorities. You can find your nearest Austrian representation office here. The office for immigration in Vienna is the MA 35. CEU PU is not allowed to apply for a visa or residence permit on behalf of students, nor are they legally entitled to make inquiries with relevant authorities on the student's behalf. 

In case you need help with your visa process to Austria, please contact the Student Center of CEU at

For information on visa and residence permit matters please visit also the websites of the consortium institutions:

Central European University

Do you need a visa? 
Visa/Residence documents to Austria, Visa & Residence FAQ
Austria Visa Application Requirements

Lund University 

We recommend to apply for a 2-year residence permit to Austria (EU residence permit) if you will spend your 2nd year in Lund, but it is subject to showing sufficient funds when applying for the permit. Otherwise you will have to apply for a Sweden residence permit for your 2nd year of studies in the summer following your 1st year (you can get the necessary documents from Lund in June the earliest). 

Residence permits
Your arrival in Lund

University of Manchester 

Students on Manchester track are required to apply for a residence permit to the UK. 
Please note that UK authorities usually require an English language test, they do not accept the exemption you received at admission to CEU. You will receive the necessary documents from the University of Manchester in the spring/summer of your 1st year. 

Visa guidance
Visas and applications

University of the Aegean 

With a valid residence permit to Austria you can officially be for (max) 90 days in the Schengen area outside of Austria, ie it should cover the period you spend in Greece (but please check the Spring semester dates, as there is a 2-weeks break). 
Students on EMJM stipend can also make use of outgoing 'Intra-EU-Mobility', which extends this period of 90 days to a maximum of 12 months.

Updated: July 27, 2023